To make brand new furniture using new wood, trees must be cut down. This means more deforestation which is never a good thing for the environment. There are better, more responsible ways to furnish your home. Using second hand furniture is one good way. One of the other responsible ways to furnish your home is through purchasing reclaimed wooden furniture. There are many other benefits to using this sort of furniture apart from being responsible and the aesthetics of beautiful, warm furniture.
The benefits of using reclaimed wooden furniture
There are many benefits to using furniture made out of reclaimed wood. Some of these are included in the following list:
- Reclaimed wood means that trees are saved and less deforestation occurs.
- Reclaimed wood is older and will usually be worn in the right way so that it has character.
- You can be sure that reclaimed wood will last you as it has already withstood some use.
- The reclaimed wood that you use may be antique, adding to its value.
- Reclaimed wood may be drier and older, and therefore easier to work with.
- Old wood can usually be made to look almost new with a little effort.
- There are many carpenters and woodworkers who can rework your old wood into new furniture for a good price.
- If you are designing your own furniture from reclaimed wood, you can fit it to your home or office and have it made to your specifications.
- Wood is generally thought of as being more beautiful than metal or plastic when it comes to furniture.
- Reclaimed wooden furniture is relatively easy to get hold of and it is usually not as expensive as brand new furniture.
- If you have some wood lying around, or an old piece of wooden furniture that is not functioning properly anymore, it is not difficult to rework it or design a new piece of furniture from scratch by yourself.
There are many businesses that offer either the service of putting together reclaimed wooden furniture and many others who sell reclaimed wooden furniture. There will often be stalls selling second hand and reclaimed wooden furniture and country fairs and flea markets. You should keep your eye open for opportunities.
Second hand stores and pawn shops often sell reclaimed wooden furniture as well. Many private sellers advertised second hand or reclaimed wooden furniture through classifieds. There are also often auctioneers who offer reclaimed wooden furniture alongside antiques, second hand furniture and designer pieces. One of the best places to begin looking is online. You can find reclaimed wooden furniture for sale at the following websites:
- Bid or Buy
- Benches Africa
- Red Apple
- Innovative Creations
- Hollywood Furniture
Whichever business you choose to purchase your reclaimed wooden furniture from, it is essential to keep in mind that there are several characteristics which you should make sure the business has before you go with them. Being honest, have a good track record with customers, having very good craftsmen with experience and proper training and creating beautiful, practical pieces that people want to own are all traits of a good furniture company.
It is also essential to remember that furniture can be incredibly expensive. Set a budget for the pieces you want reworked, created or that you want to buy already made. Stick to your budget, no matter how tempting it may be to go over for piece that you really like. It is better to stick to what you can afford for a piece.
Remember, if the piece that you think it perfect does not meet your budget, there will always be another piece that you will like just as much for a better price. The trick is to keep looking, leave no stone unturned and to bargain. Often, businesses and stores that sell reclaimed wooden furniture and other second hand goods will be open to bargaining.